Wednesday, October 16, 2013

CPM Activity Report #8 - October 16, 2013



We have reached a crossroads.

Four days away from finishing our 6th month since CCP Dolan announced the Council of Planetary Management, an immense amount of work remains in the process of establishing a practical, efficient working relationship with CCP Shanghai. By now most of you have learned that we now have a new Executive Producer: Jean-Charles Gaudechon, also known as CCP Rouge. My original hope was to have gotten far enough along by now that we'd be ready to collectively teach Dust514's next E.P. the merits of a strong working relationship through direct demonstration. Today, it appears that he is our best remaining chance at building that relationship.

I've struggled the past few weeks to figure out exactly what to write about since my last report, for fairly obvious reasons. Many of you have already been asking lots of questions about initiatives discussed in previous reports, such as the establishment of a CPM charter or a regular meeting schedule. Many of you have also noticed we haven't had a lot of answers. I finally sat down last Friday and hammered out a rough outline of what I'd write if I were to produce another typical Activity Report. Under normal circumstances, I ask questions about the items I'm unsure about, though I don't ever have CCP directly review or "rubber stamp" my blog posts. I've been doing this long enough to know what's safe to share in most cases, and I think its also important to retain my own voice as much as possible.

This time, however, I wanted both CCP and the CPM to be on exactly the same page about what has transpired since I last blogged, and to give both parties a fair chance to give me something different to write about. The response from CCP was immediate – and since Friday the CPM have been in and out of a series of intense discussions with CCP Logibro, CCP Dolan, CCP Saberwing, and almost every member of the ever-growing Shanghai management group. The culmination of this was a meeting held yesterday with the new Executive Producer, CCP Rouge, an event we weren't expecting for another three weeks at least. The timeslot for the meeting was originally planned for a discussion of an upcoming event, but the meeting was cancelled and replaced with some face time with the new boss. Rouge had caught wind of our internal discussion about the state of the CPM and its development, and wanted to get involved immediately.

As frustrating as this may be for some of you, I will not be discussing the meeting in this post. Everyone knows what the CPM has been asking for, and everyone knows what has been promised in previous meetings. While we very much welcome CCP's apparent enthusiasm, we've also seen it many variations of it throughout the last 6 months. Were there commitments made in this meeting as well? Absolutely! But I will not be outlining them here.

The time has passed for the CPM to take verbal assurances at face value, and from this point on we can only evaluate CCP's interest in engaging the community through observing substantive action. As your representative body, pledges of cooperation made to the CPM are also made to each of you, and because of this they should almost always be made to you directly. Since CCP Dolan's initial post announcing our formation, the CPM's activities as well as CCP's interest in our development have been documented almost exclusively through this blog, and that will no longer be the case. The last pledge from CCP that I will communicate on their behalf is this: There will be a public statement by the end of the week, where CCP will update the community on the state of the CPM as well discuss how we will be proceeding moving forward.



It is only fair at this point to expect CCP to provide the community with their own transparent and critical examination of how we got to where we are today, as well as to share how they plan to improve the situation in the coming weeks. We have a window of opportunity now that CCP Saberwing is onboard to attend to the CPM in Shanghai, at a time when the possibility exists for top-down integration and management of the communication pipelines we've been waiting for. Hope certainly remains, but optimism will only return once we see the immediate mobilization that we deserve at this point and time.

There is certainly a lot more ground to cover, but the community must look to CCP to follow through on the public statement and begin this process themselves. Once everyone is caught up on the events leading to this point as well as what was covered in the meeting yesterday, I will have a lot more to discuss. If things get moving quickly enough, my intention is to resume weekly posts provided I actually have tangible news to deliver. In the meantime its CCP's turn to catch up with the community, and I look forward to seeing what hey have to say.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Hans, here's hoping that CPP have the backhand to return this volley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm somewhat heartened to see that CCP Rouge actually went out and met you - I'm curious as to what this could mean for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. In the in-movie sense or "gif of a guy clapping" sense?

      Delete
  4. Please keep fighting the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had our disagreements, but this is a good post. I think you're taking the right tack here with CCP. I'm no fan of DUST, and I truly believe as a product it is a sinking ship that continues to suck money out of CCP ... but I do understand your frustration and you represent that frustration well in this post, while still being professional about it.

    I look forward to seeing what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So that statement from CCP...did I miss it, or did they miss the deadline?

    ReplyDelete